Some thoughts to remember while building the kickest-butt social/meme/news site:
- Before requiring users insert their details, give them something when they first visit the site
- After inserting their feeds, but before requiring they insert their keywords, show them their feeds (news reader style)
- You're tempted to lay on the cool Ajax-goodies, but do you have the useful features and information they want?
- There must be almost no learning curve to get started, any complexity must be hidden for the really adventurous users (only a small % of users)
- Make sure you know where your sustainable revenue is coming from. Software sales? AdSense?
- Make sure you prepare for the worst… success! How will you avoid needing a server farm before you have the revenue to pay for it?
- Scalability. When the site doesn't scale, everyone loses. Consider using the Google limitation-invitation trick to avoid maxing out the system.
- Make lists of things to do and tick them off as you do them. Have a clear goal beforehand of where you are going.
- Design to support multiple languages
- Email subscriptions
- Have a stop-loss date by which you exit if your revenue hasn't begun coming in. Stick to it.
Do you have anything to add?